Why does Bayer invest in indications?
At Bayer, we believe in scientific evidence. That’s why we invest in clinical trials to support the approval for more indications. Gadovist® has the most Health Canada-approved indications of any macrocyclic gadolinium-based-contrast agent (GBCA).
Approved uses of macrocyclic agents
Health Canada safety review
Health Canada has performed a safety review assessing the potential risk of gadolinium presence in the brain following repeated use of GBCAs.
The 2017 intermediate review4 contained:
- “Evidence suggests higher risk of gadolinium accumulation after repeat administration of linear than after repeat administration of macrocyclic agents”
- Advice to use the lowest dose needed and to carefully consider whether repeated doses are required
The 2018 final review5 stated: “use of macrocyclic GBCAs may be preferable to linear GBCAs in patients who may need repeated GBCA doses, as well as in children and pregnant women”
You may also be interested in downloading our PDF brochure about the power of relaxivity.
- Gadovist® 1.0 Product Monograph. March 5, 2018.
- Gadoteridol Product Monograph. March 9, 2018.
- Gadoterate meglumine Product Monograph. April 23, 2018.
- https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2017/61676a-eng.php (accessed July 10, 2020)
- https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/medeffect-canada/safety-reviews/gadolinium-based-contrast-agents-assessing-risk-build-up-in-brain-and-potential-brain-nervous-system-side-effects.html (accessed July 10, 2020)